Integrating ZipMessage with Slack
You can integrate ZipMessage with Slack to keep all of your async conversations and Slack chats in sync!
The ZipMessage Slack integration enables:
- New conversations in ZipMessage automatically post to a Slack channel.
- New messages on a conversation in ZipMessage automatically post to a dedicated thread in Slack
- Use the /zipmessage slash command in Slack to start a new ZipMessage conversation
- Turn any Slack message into a message posted to a ZipMessage conversation.
How to connect Slack and ZipMessage
- Log into ZipMessage, then go to Settings > Integrations.
- Click "Connect to Slack"
- Select your Slack account and Slack channel to connect.
If you've connected a public channel, then you're all set! ZipMessage will be synced with that Slack channel.
If you've connected a private channel, then read on as there is one more step to complete the connection:
Connecting ZipMessage to a private Slack channel
After you've connected ZipMessage to Slack (see steps above), follow these steps to connect it to a private channel in Slack:
- In the channels list in Slack, right-click the private channel, then click "Open channel details"
- Click "Integrations"
- Click "Add an app"
- Add ZipMessage to this private channel.
- Back in ZipMessage, go to "integrations", on the Slack integration, click "change Slack channel". You should now see the private channel show up in the dropdown menu. Click it to activate the connection between ZipMessage and this private channel in Slack.
Now ZipMessage will interact with this private Slack channel in all the same ways it can with a public channel.
ZipMessage conversations --> Slack threads
When a new conversation is started in ZipMessage, this will send a new post a message into the Slack channel you've connected.
Once a 2nd message is posted to that ZipMessage conversation, this turns the initial Slack message into a Slack thread, with the 2nd message posted into it.
All subsequent messages on this ZipMessage conversation will be posted to this Slack thread.
Start a ZipMessage conversation from Slack
Once ZipMessage is connected to a Slack channel, you can start a new ZipMessage conversation by using the Slack slash command.
Type /zipmessage into Slack followed by a space, and then the text you want to set as this conversation's title. For example, if you type: "/zipmessage New Conversation Title" (without quotes), this will create a new conversation in ZipMessage with the title: New Conversation Title
The link to the ZipMessage conversation will then be posted into the Slack channel.
Post a message to a ZipMessage conversation from Slack
If a ZipMessage conversation already exists, and it is already synced to a Slack thread, then you can post a text message into that ZipMessage conversion from within this Slack thread.
First, post a reply to the thread in Slack. After posting, right-click this message in Slack to open it's options. Then click "Send to ZipMessage". This will post a text message to the ZipMessage conversation with the text that was posted in Slack.